Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It started with Pericles


            Pericles son of war hero Xanthippus, lived a life filled with culture because his family was important in society. As he grew older, he encouraged democracy which in this society meant all of the male citizens could participate in government. In the year 443 B.C he was elected one of Athens leading generals and developed a plan to rebuild athens by using the money that Greece had put aside to fight Persia. This money could be utilized because the the war with Persia had ended.
            Pericles used the funds to build up places such as the Acropolis...


and the Parthenon...


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/The_Parthenon_in_Athens.jpg

(note: these are pictures of what these buildings look like hundreds and hundreds after the Golden Age)


              In 500 words or more, using the information above and the video below, discuss 2 ways in which Pericles used his circumstances and/or the nations circumstances to create a powerful new Athens.

*Extra Credit*
(250 words or more) 
         If you were in Athens during this time would you do anything differently? What would you create? How would you run the country?

Enjoy Learning!

7 comments:

  1. Your introductory paragraph was very informative with perfect length so the student would not lose their attention. I enjoyed your option of giving the students extra credit to perform! Especially the fact that the questions would be answered in the student's point of view/thoughts/opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the introductory paragraphed was filled with information. I liked how you showed pictures of what Pericles funded in order to build what he built. I also enjoyed the video because it gave me more information about Pericles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you included extra credit and you explained what each link would be about. One recommendation I would give would be to give a focus question at the beginning of your post to help students narrow down the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you left that note under your links that was smart. I thought the extra credit question was my favorite part, but I almost missed it because of the smaller fonts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the library background. Were you able to put the actual pictures on here instead of the links? You could create a hyperlink with a picture if you wanted them to connect to a site also. The writing is definitely a rigorous assignment for younger students, but probably a good summative assessment for grade 6 +. The extra credit is a good self motivator for students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the book background for your blog. I would have just added a few more pictures. I also liked the extra credit question, however I think you should have made the font larger and more capturing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that the links to the pictures were accompanied by explanations of the each accomplishment. I think the writing assignment is a good challenge for the students, as was the extra credit statement. The video at the end is very informative and would hold the students attention due to the animated nature of it.

    ReplyDelete